Registered Nurse (RN) - Acupuncturist (P/T)
Bethesda, MD 20814 US
Currently recruiting a Registered Nurse - Acupuncturist (RN) - Part-Time in Bethesda, MD to provide care to Active Duty heroes, their families, and retirees at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. Schedule is Mon. - Wed., 0730 - 1500.
DUTIES OF THE REGISTERED NURSE - ACUPUNCTURIST (RN):
- Provide Acupuncture training as applicable to supporting Government employees (i.E., hospital corpsmen, technicians, students, patients, and families) assigned during the performance of clinical procedures. Such direction and interaction will adhere to Government and professional clinical standards and accepted clinical protocol.
- Participate in the provision of in-service training to other nurses on Acupuncture services offered by the Acute Pain Services/Pain Clinic.
- Participate in monthly meetings to review and evaluate the care provided to patients, identify opportunities to improve the care delivered, and recommend corrective action when problems exist. Should a meeting occur outside of regular working hours, the HCP shall be required to read and initial the minutes of the meeting.
- Perform necessary administrative duties that include maintaining statistical records of clinical workload operate and manipulate automated systems such as Composite Health Care System (CHCS)/Armed Forces Health Longitudinal Technology Application (AHLTA) and participating in clinical staff Performance Improvement (PI) and Risk Management (RM) functions as prescribed by the Commander.
- Perform a full range of RN duties in accordance with assignment under the Order, including: triage; patient assessment and monitoring; use of patient monitoring and treatment equipment; appropriate nursing care, procedures, and treatments; execution of physicians orders within the guidelines of standard nursing practice; documentation of patient care and observations; and patient education and emotional support.
- Provide professional nursing care in a knowledgeable, skillful, consistent, and courteous manner.
- Assess each patient and perform triage duties as assigned.
- Formulate and carry out a goal directed plan of care which based on determined nursing diagnosis and patient outcomes and which is prioritized according to patient needs and available resources including time, personnel, equipment, and supplies.
- Evaluate effectiveness of self-care given by all health team members, and contribution of systems, environment, and instrumentation in progressing patient toward outcomes.
- Provide Acupuncture treatment and discharge instructions upon patient release. Perform assessment/data collection in an ongoing and systematic manner, focusing on physiological, psychological, and cognitive status.
- Provide a safe and clean environment for each patient.
- Ensure Acupuncture areas are stocked and properly equipped.
- Identify patient/significant other learning needs and implement appropriate measures to meet identified needs.
- Assist in planning, provide clinical direction and provide instruction to LPNs, nursing assistants and ancillary personnel that would need guidance for acupuncture.
- Provide nursing support to the Acupuncture Pain Service physicians for Acupuncture treatments. Participate in the Universal Protocol for patient identification, consent confirmation, and confirmation of site marking.
- Continue to monitor patients following treatments.
- Participate on rounds for all Acute Pain Service patients and newly arrived Air Evacuation combat casualties. Develop, manage, modify as needed, an Acupuncture service plan of care in collaboration with acute pain team.
- Document the plan of care, anticoagulation status, and any changes in vital signs or medications on the pain management flow sheet. Follow up on consultations submitted to the Acute Pain Service. Educate patients and family members on Acupuncture treatments, options, risks, and discuss patient s participation in any on-going research protocols in progress.
- Respond to the pages received on the Acute Pain Service pager. Resolve issues and refer to the anesthesiologist on call when appropriate. Document all treatments on the Essentris computer program.
- Assist in the development and implementation of hospital wide policies for pain management.
- Acupuncture and Nursing services provided shall include, but are not limited to patient care, patient and family education, and collaboration with other members of the care team to optimize pain management.
- Possess willingness to train on new modalities to treat pain.
- Possess ability to learn skill specific to pain management needs.
- Possess compassion for patients.
- Possess proficiency filling out paperwork for urine drug screening testing.
- Support the pain team by knowing all the resources available for pain, at times may need to do some patient education.
- Possess flexibility and ability to adapt to change and working between Pain Clinic, Acute Pain Regional Pain Services if necessary.
- Possess exemplary customer service and communication skills.
- Demonstrate proficiency with Microsoft Office & EMR computer skills.
- Possess knowledge of a wide range of medical disorders/conditions, diagnostic studies and treatments related to prevention, and treatment of Chronic and Acute Pain is desirable.
QUALIFICATIONS OF THE REGISTERED NURSE - ACUPUNCTURIST (RN):
- Be a graduate of a master' s or doctorate degree from an Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM) accredited agency.
- Completed Clean Needle Technique certificate program
- Passed the national board exam, as given by National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM) and maintain current diploma status.
- Possess a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from an accredited college.
- Possess a minimum of one year experience in clinical acupuncture.
- Possess a minimum of two years RN experience working with patients who have pain conditions in a hospital, emergency department, or pain clinic setting within the last five years.
- Shall have documentation of current Drug Enforcement Agency number.
- Current BLS AND ACLS
- Current, unrestricted license from any of the 50 states and U.S. Territories
- Must be a U.S. Citizen (for access to Government computer systems)
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS FOR THE REGISTERED NURSE - ACUPUNCTURIST (RN):
- Competitive pay
- Health & Welfare allowance
ABOUT THE ARORA GROUP:
The Arora Group is an award-winning, Joint Commission-certified nationwide healthcare services company that, for almost 30 years, has provided medical care for the men and women who serve our country in the U.S. Armed Forces. Our mission is to provide world-class care and give our healthcare professionals opportunities to improve their skills, learn from the best, and serve the needs of active duty service members, their families, and veterans.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability