Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, DC 20032 US
Currently recruiting a Optometry Technician to provide care to active duty military members and their families at Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, District of Columbia. The Optometry Technician is a full-time position, 80 hours per two weeks, schedule can vary. Full benefits, including 17 days paid vacation/sick leave and 11 paid Federal holidays.
DUTIES OF THE OPTOMETRY TECHNICIAN:
- Performs visual screening tests and assists in patient treatment. Processes eyewear prescriptions for military spectacles. Performs optometry clinic activities.
- Assists the health care provider in the examination and treatment of patients by performing visual tests or procedures.
- Orders and dispenses military spectacles. Fits patients with spectacles and instructs patients on contact lens procedures. Assists aircrew members in aviator contact lens and night vision goggle program. Assists flight personnel in the occupational vision program and as needed under the direction of the Optometrist.
- Records patient case history, conducts visual screening tests such as visual acuity, cover test, pupillary testing, color vision, depth perception, visual field charting, and tonometry for analysis and interpretation. Instills approved ophthalmic drugs.
- Performs ophthalmic functions as needed.
- Prepares patients and performs as special surgical assistant in clinical procedures.
- Administers ophthalmic drops and ointments, applies ocular dressings, performs suture removal, and obtains eye cultures.
- Takes ophthalmic photographs.
- Prepares ophthalmic anesthetics and antibiotics.
- Performs periodic maintenance and calibration checks on clinic diagnostic equipment.
- Reviews reports and records for accuracy and compliance.
- Reports findings and service' s activities.
- Establishes or recommends optometry standards, regulations, policies, or procedures to ensure quality patient care in a safe, efficient, and effective optometry environment
QUALIFICATIONS OF THE OPTOMETRY TECHNICIAN:
- Degree/Education: AW position description / qualifications as stated within Exhibit 5 of the basic contract.
- Certifications in addition to Basic Life Support: must be in compliance with Exhibit 5 requirements of the basic contract.
- Must have knowledge of ocular anatomy; ophthalmic medications; visual physiology, optics; use and maintenance of ophthalmic instruments and testing equipment; ophthalmic and medical regulations; medical terminology; optometric technology; asepsis; ocular referrals and emergency medical treatment; patient transportation; medical ethics; medical administration; and medical service organization and function.
- Must have experience with ophthalmic medications, anesthetic 31 solutions, and ocular disorders.
- Completion of a basic optometry course, equivalent paraoptometric training, or a paraoptometric certification.
- Experience in caring for and treating optometry patients and in operating and maintaining ophthalmic equipment such as lensometers, vision screening instruments, visual field measuring instruments, tonometers, and other types of ophthalmic equipment.
- Experience performing or supervising ophthalmic functions such as caring for and treating patients, operating ophthalmic testing equipment, and fitting optical and ophthalmic devices.
- At least 12 months of experience within the last 36 months.
- Board Certification: must be in compliance with Exhibit 5 requirements of the basic contract.
- Licensure/Registration: IAW position description / qualifications as stated within Exhibit 5 of the basic contract
- US Citizenship required (for access to government computer systems).
- BLS for Healthcare Providers
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS OF THE OPTOMETRY TECHNICIAN:
- Competitive starting salary
- 17 days paid vacation per year!
- 11 paid Federal holidays per year
- Health & Welfare benefit contributes toward health insurance and short- and long-term disability
- Dental & Vision plans, 401(K)
ABOUT THE ARORA GROUP:
The Arora Group is an award-winning, Joint Commission-certified nationwide healthcare services company that, for over 30 years, has provided medical care for the men and women who serve our country in the U.S. Armed Forces. Our mission is to provide world-class care and give our healthcare professionals opportunities to improve their skills, learn from the best, and serve the needs of active duty service members, their families, and veterans.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability